Trial begins of man who denies rape charge

first_img HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme Pinterest Facebook Twitter Pinterest Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released A Donegal man has gone on trial at the Central Criminal Court accused of a raping his ex-girfriend in the county almost six years ago.The man has pleaded not guilty to raping the now 26-year-old woman on July 1, 2004.Mr Alex Owens SC (with Mr Paul Greene SC), prosecuting, said it was the State’s case that the accused and the complainant had been going out with each other for four years prior to the alleged incident and had a young child together.They had been living together but the previous Sunday she had asked him to leave following a fall out. Four days later she came downstairs sometime after midnight, having heard noises, and found the accused there. Mr Owens said it would be the State’s case that the accused had drink taken. He asked the complainant if they could get back together and suggested they go for counselling. She asked him to leave a number of times and rang a taxi for him but he stayed on. An argument broke out when the taxi arrived to take him away but he sent it off.Mr Owens told the jury it would hear evidence that the man accused the complainant of having affairs with other women before a fight broke out between them which led to him raping her on the floor, having ripped her underwear.“Against her objections he had sex with her, without her consent and he knew it was without her consent,” Mr Owens said.He said the jury would hear from the complainant that after a short time, she managed to get herself together and eventually got the accused to leave.The trial continues before Mr Justice Barry White and a jury of six men and six women. Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers Google+ Google+ By News Highland – March 18, 2010 center_img PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal Trial begins of man who denies rape charge RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Twitter Watch: The Nine Til Noon Show LIVE WhatsApp News WhatsApp Previous articleDerry councillor calls for legal highs to be bannedNext articleBishop Hegarty clarifies position on abuse cover-up claims News Highland last_img read more

Navy Rescues 4 Indian Fishermen

first_imgNaval troops attached to SLNS Wasaba of the Northern Naval Command rescued 4 Indian fishermen who had been victimized fot the seas west of Delft Island on 05th December 2013.Their fishing boat had capsized while engaged in fishing due to an engine failure. The rescued fishermen were transferred ashore by the naval personnel and provided them with medical treatment and food. They were handed over to Delft Police for further investigations.[mappress]Press Release, December 09, 2013; Image: Sri Lanka Navy Share this article December 9, 2013 Back to overview,Home naval-today Navy Rescues 4 Indian Fishermen Navy Rescues 4 Indian Fishermenlast_img

USA: MV Cape Ray Departs for Final Sea Trials

first_img View post tag: trials View post tag: Ray View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Navy Back to overview,Home naval-today USA: MV Cape Ray Departs for Final Sea Trials View post tag: Final USA: MV Cape Ray Departs for Final Sea Trials MV CAPE RAYMV Cape Ray departed Portsmouth, Va., on 10 January for final sea trials in preparation for the UN mission to destroy Syrian chemical weapons.MV Cape Ray is a Roll-on/roll of and container ship of the US Navy, which can carry 1,315 containers. She is used to transport vehicles to war zones from the US.US Army civilians outfitted the ship with two portable hydrolysis systems, created to neutralize Syrian chemical weapons.Destruction of the weapons will take about 90 days. Some 35 civilian mariners, about 64 chemical specialists from the US Army, a security team and representatives from the United States European Command (EUCOM) will be aboard the ship before she arrives at her destination.[mappress]Naval Today Staff, January 15, 2014; Image: Wikimedia View post tag: Defense View post tag: Capecenter_img View post tag: Naval View post tag: Defence View post tag: M/V January 15, 2014 View post tag: Departs View post tag: sea Industry news Share this articlelast_img read more

Flagpole Taken From Local Cemetery

first_imgPolice are investigating a missing flagpole from a cemetery in Dillsboro. (Image: Dillsboro American Legion)A flag pole that had been present at the Oakdale Cemetery for decades has been stolen.Police received the report of the absent aluminum 50 to 60 foot pole on Monday, September 23. It was first noticed missing on Tuesday, September 17. It was partially cut at the base and then tore down.Dillsboro Police Chief Ryan Brandt says the culprits may have taken the pole to a scrap yard for cash. Brandt has been attempting to contact local scrap dealers to determine if it had been taken in.The flagpole was donated over thirty years ago by the Dillsboro American Legion Post 292 in honor of veterans.“I am sure they cut it down for scrap metal. It’s a shame people would do something like that,” said Dillsboro American Legion Finance Officer Ron Heffelmire.While the thief, or thieves, may get a couple hundred dollars from scraping the pole, it could cost up to $4,000 to replace it, according to Heffelmire. He indicated that the legion is considering have it replaced.Anyone with information on the theft is advised to contact the Dillsboro Police Department at (812) 432-3033 or (812) 537-3431.last_img read more

Atchison County Raceway will add IMCA Modifieds, Stock Cars next season

first_imgATCHISON, Kan. ­– Atchison County Raceway will feature Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modifieds and IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars on regular Friday night programs beginning in 2016.A couple spring specials are to be scheduled before the IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing season begins at the 1/5-mile oval on April 29. Point races on the 1/5-mile dirt oval continue through Aug. 26. “We had wanted to go with IMCA since we opened (in 2012) but things just didn’t work out,” said owner and promoter Phil Birkinsha. “We have had IMCA drivers race with us before. Now they’ll be able to come here on Fridays and race for IMCA points.” Located in the extreme northeast corner of Kansas, Atchison County Raceway was built at the former site of an asphalt plant two miles north of Atchison. The high-banked racing surface is 80 feet at its widest. “Stock Cars put on the best show around with the rule package IMCA has,” noted Birkinsha. We haven’t run Modifieds here before weekly but have run specials. When IMCA allowed Modifieds to use quick changes it made it possible for drivers to go from a big track to a smaller one and not have to spend as much money.”The March 18-19 Tag Team Challenge pays $1,000 to the winner and $1,000 to the top team of two Modifieds, based on combined points. Stock Cars race for $750 to win and $500 to the top team.A tag team special ­– two drivers in the same division vie for higher payouts based on their combined finishes in qualifying races and their main event – will be scheduled during the spring while Atchison’s fourth annual Stock Car Smackdown will be held on a Sunday in August. Already underway is a new lighting project in the pit area. “We’re really excited about next season,” Birkinsha said. “We’re only about 45 miles from Thunderhill Speedway. Drivers will be able to race here on Friday and Saturdays at Mayetta for IMCA points.”Both tracks are part of the Jet Racing Central Region for Modifieds and the EQ Cylinder Heads Northern Region for Stock Cars.last_img read more

RECORDS: Ahly tops clubs with most titles

first_imgEgyptian giants, Al-Ahly have overtaken Italian side, AC Milan as the Club with the most internationally recognized titles.The CAF Champions League holders attained the feat following their 3-2 win over CS Sfaxien of Tunisia last Thursday in Cairo, taking their tally of international titles to 19, one more than AC Milan.The breakdown of the ‘Red Devils’ titles are: – Eight (8) CAF Champions League [1982,1987,2001,2005,2006,2008,2012,2013]; – Four (4) CAF Cup Winners’ Cup [1984,1985,1986,1993]; – Six (6) CAF Super Cup [2002,006,2007,2009.2013,2014]  – One (1) Afro-Asian Cup [1988].Milan’s 18 international trophy haul include seven (7) UEFA Champions League, five (5) UEFA Super Cup, two (2) UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup, three (3) Intercontinental Cup and one (1) FIFA Club World.CAF President Issa Hayatou has congratulated Ahly on the feat, describing it as positive for African football.“Congratulations to Ahly on this historic achievement. CAF is proud of this record that puts Africa on the world map yet again. “This is positive sign that African football has come of age and it will encourage other clubs to do more,” said Hayatou.last_img read more

Electronic Arts Is The Worst Company In America, Again

first_imgElectronic Arts, the publisher of popular video-game franchises like Madden, SimCity and Mass Effect, has done it yet again. In another highly contested match-up against Bank of America, EA has kept its iron grip on the crown for Worst Company In America.EA’s penchant for micro-transactions, insistence on always-online requirements and overall anti-consumer activities lifted the company to “victory” yet again, with its SimCity launch disaster earlier this year perhaps the most influential of causes. The Consumerist, a popular website owned by not-for-profit advocacy organization Consumer Reports, has held The Worst Company In America poll since 2006. The contest has come to resemble an NCAA March Madness bracket, pitting companies against direct competitors (Apple vs. Google; Comcast vs. DirectTV) before the Sweet 16 round begins crossing industry lines. This year’s Final Four also included TicketMaster and former winner Comcast. EA clinched a surprise victory in 2012 by beating out Bank of America, AT&T and Wal-Mart in the Final Four. After taking an astounding 77.53% of the vote this year, EA kept its crown. Video Game Publisher vs. Utility Companies & Banks?It’s hard to imagine a mere video game publisher beating out the bank that bought mortgage-lending scapegoat Countrywide, not to mention a slew of widely reviled cell service and cable providers. As EA’s COO Peter Moore complained during the semifinals:This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars. The complaints against us last year were our support of SOPA (not true), and that they didn’t like the ending to Mass Effect 3.While a bit snide and self serving, Moore does raise an interesting point. Just how did a game publisher come to be so hated? EA’s Big MistakesOne factor promoting EA’s worst-ness is that BofA is just one hated bank among many, while EA has become the poster child for conglomerate greed and anti-consumerism in gaming. The company’s sins even put it on the ReadWrite DeathWatch list last year. Here’s a rundown of some of the bad decisions and debacles plaguing the company recently:The first SimCity in nearly 10 years was released last month to disastrous performance and near-universal connection issues. The cause: EA’s servers, which must be accessed with a solid Internet connection at all times just to play the game. Refunds for digital copies were not permitted. Microtransaction policies sucking the fun out of various games. Most recently Real Racing 3, a free driving game, included a feature that limits players to 30 minutes of playtime before they are required to pay more. In March, right after the SimCity launch, EA CEO John Riccitiello resigned amid failure to meet operational plans and Wall Street financial forecasts.  EA has also presided over poor endings and seemingly rushed sequels to several highly acclaimed game series. Mass Effect 3’s final act was so poorly received that fans demanded, and received, a revised ending, and EA was sued for false advertising.  Finally, the video game world is not just a niche market any more. It’s become a pervasive, multibillion-dollar industry worming its way onto smartphones, tablets, social networks, television sets, PCs and pretty much anything else with a screen.  Can EA Snag A Three-Peat? Peter Moore’s blog post – titled “We Can Do Better” – was more a rude and careless defense than an acknowledgement that consumers really, really don’t like his company. He even ended it by saying, “The tallest trees catch the most wind. At EA we remain proud and unbowed.” Learning from mistakes is always difficult for big corporations, but EA seems determined not to pay attention to the blow-back on micro-transactions, always-online functionality and customer satisfaction. As The Consumerist put it: When we live in an era marked by massive oil spills, faulty foreclosures by bad banks, and rampant consolidation in the airline and telecom industry, what does it say about EA’s business practices that so many people have — for the second year in a row — come out to hand it the title of Worst Company In America?For anyone interested, here’s a rundown of the contest in bracket form:  Tags:#Electronic Arts nick statt A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic…center_img 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hostinglast_img read more

Team Lakay’s Joshua Pacio yields ONE strawweight title to Yosuke Saruta

first_imgJUST IN: Pacio yields ONE strawweight title after a split-decision loss to Saruta. | @MarkGiongcoINQ #EternalGlory pic.twitter.com/y15mS6vPSL— INQUIRER Sports (@INQUIRERSports) January 19, 2019FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion MOST READ Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño ONE: Team Lakay’s Edward Kelly stopped by Christian Lee in 1st round of rematch Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Saruta was as good on the standup as he was on the ground. He took down Pacio several times including in the final minute of the fifth round.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The 34-year-old Japanese, who was rewarded with a split decision victory, won the belt in just his second fight on the ONE Championship stage. He was tapped as replacement just three weeks ago after his compatriot Hayato Suzuki pulled out from the bout due to an injury. TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening LATEST STORIES ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight PLAY LIST 00:52ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight01:04Team Lakay’s rough start lights a fire under Danny Kingad00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss “I was just really focused on winning the fight and I couldn’t recall much of what happened but one thing I remember is it was a really, really tough fight,” Saruta (19-8) told reporters through an interpreter.Pacio’s heartbreaking loss trimmed Team Lakay’s world champions to three with flyweight king Geje Eustaquio staking his title six days from now in third meeting with former champion Adriano Moraes in Manila.The Indonesian crowd rallied behind the spry Filipino as they kept chanting “Pacio” throughout the fight.But the tough-as-nails Saruta was unfazed and sustained his aggressiveness up to the final bell.The 23-year-old Pacio (13-3), whose four-fight winning run was snapped, had described Saruta as an “explosive and well-rounded fighter” and he was on cue.ADVERTISEMENT Yosuke Saruta edges Joshua Pacio to take the ONE strawweight world title. Photo from ONE ChampionshipJAKARTA, Indonesia—Yosuke Saruta quickly turned from a replacement fighter to world champion in less than a month.Saruta proved he was a worthy challenger after toppling Joshua Pacio in five grueling rounds to earn the strawweight world title in the main event of ONE: Eternal Glory late Saturday night at Istora Senayan here.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? View commentslast_img read more