How was investigative reporter pushed to kill himself?

first_img Melanesia: Facebook algorithms censor article about press freedom in West Papua Receive email alerts IndonesiaAsia – Pacific News IndonesiaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on Indonesia to go further August 6, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 How was investigative reporter pushed to kill himself? News Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders is saddened to learn of the death of investigative journalist Ardiansyah Matra’is, whose body was found in a river in the eastern province of Papua two days after he was reported missing. The cause of death has not yet been official determined, but his mental state suggests it was suicide.Employed by Merauke TV, a local station in the south of the province, Matra’is had been seriously depressed for months after being threatened by soldiers because of his coverage of illegal logging. His body was found by a search and rescue team in the River Gudang Arand near Merauke at 6:30 a.m. on 30 JulyReporters Without Borders calls for a serious and impartial investigation into the link between his death and the harassment to which he had been subjected. Coming after the flight of a journalist who investigated an illegal logging ring in Simeuleu, in the western province of Aceh, the death of Matra’is seems to confirm the dangers of covering deforestation in Indonesia.The press freedom organisation also urges the Papua provincial authorities to guarantee the ability of the local media to work freely. In the run-up to local elections, journalists have been exposed to frequent threats in the province.Before joining Merauke TV, Matra’is had worked for ANTV, a national television station, Jubi, a magazine based in Jayapura (the provincial capital), and Rajawali, a regional daily. Last year, he wrote a series of reports for Jubi about illegal logging by local military officers, and managed to take photos of their operations.Local sources told Reporters Without Borders that a member of the national intelligence agency, posing as a journalist, subsequently contacted Matra’is and suggested they should work together on a story on the same subject. Matra’is was then kidnapped and threatened by army officers, who urged him to return to Merauke, the town where he born. “Or else we will kill all the members of your family,” they reportedly told him.Matra’is had received treatment several times in a psychiatric hospital and stopped working several weeks before his death.Local journalists in the region, to which the foreign media are denied access, have meanwhile reported receiving threats by SMS, apparently in connection with the forthcoming local elections. Jojo, the editor of the daily Rajawali, told the Kompas.com news website that some journalists had been getting threatening text messages for week.“To cowardly journalists, never play with fire if you do not want to be burned,” one message said, adding: “If you still want to make a living on this land, do not do weird things.” According to Jojo, messages warned that journalists in Papua would be killed and “no action will be taken by the police or the military.” A letter apparently written in blood was also placed outside the Merauke home of Lala, a reporter for the daily Bintang Papua.The electoral commission disqualified a candidate after local journalists investigated the destruction of another candidate’s banners, Jojo noted. Papua police spokesman Wachyono confirmed that journalists had filed complaints about the threats and that an investigation was under way.center_img News RSF_en Organisation On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years August 21, 2020 Find out more November 19, 2020 Find out more News August 12, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Last remaining water boil notice lifted in Co. Limerick

first_imgTwitter Previous articleSebastian Barry to take Limerick Literary Festival Line UpNext articleFertility clinic to open in Limerick Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook WhatsApp TAGSboil water noticeCo. LimerickMusic Limerick Advertisement Linkedin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ center_img Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Email Print NewsLast remaining water boil notice lifted in Co. LimerickBy Staff Reporter – February 19, 2014 657 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Limerick County Council has confirmed that the last remaining precautionary boil water notice in place in County Limerick has been lifted.The local authority, acting on the advice of the Health Service Executive and as agents of Irish Water, introduced a precautionary boil water notice across County Limerick on Thursday after extensive power outages caused by last week’s storm affected water pumping stations and treatment plants.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Approximately 90,000 customers in County Limerick were affected by the boil water notice. Since Saturday however, only 475 people served by the Fedamore public water scheme have been required to boil water prior to consumption. This precautionary notice has now been lifted.Water supply to the Limerick City and Environs area was unaffected during the past week. Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday New Music: 40Hurtzlast_img read more