CAF Won’t Back Musa Bility’s FIFA Presidential Bid

first_imgCAIRO — The Confederation of African Football will not support the FIFA presidential bid by Musa Bility of Liberia.CAF says its executive committee heard Bility at his request at a meeting on Thursday and decided against supporting his proposed candidacy.The executive panel “wished him good luck” with his bid, CAF said in a statement.The statement made no mention of possible contenders from Africa or elsewhere it might support.CAF president Issa Hayatou, FIFA’s senior vice president, and South African businessman Tokyo Sexwale, a member of FIFA’s discrimination task force, have been speculated as candidates to succeed Sepp Blatter on Feb. 26.CAF says its executive committee wants time to study all options.The panel will next meet Oct. 27, the day after FIFA’s deadline for applications.Meanwhile, a fierce critic of the British media’s coverage of the FIFA scandal has been nominated to sit on the task force to oversee reforms of the world governing body.Constant Omari Selemani from DR Congo and fellow FIFA executive member Hani Abo Rida from Egypt have been nominated by CAF to sit on the reform task force, which is to have an independent chairman.Omari has condemned England in the past — in 2011 he criticised former FA chairman David Bernstein for standing up at the Congress to speak against Blatter’s unopposed re-election.He has also opposed calls for age and term limits and at last year’s FIFA Congress in Sao Paulo he labelled the British media “racist” after reports that African football officials had received cash gifts.Abou Rida has also previously said he is opposed to age limits for officials.CAF said in a statement: “The CAF executive committee has unanimously proposed Hani Abo Rida and Constant Omari Selemani, African members on the FIFA executive committee, as CAF’s representatives on the ‘Task Force Reforms’ established by FIFA.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Wanted Guyanese businesswoman nabbed in Suriname

first_imgThe Guyanese businesswoman, who is wanted by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU), as the alleged mastermind behind a drug bust in Canada last month, was nabbed by Surinamese law enforcement.Nabbed: Rosemary SinghThe woman, who has been identified as Rosemary Singh of Lot 123 Ramsingh Street, Annandale; and also Lot 153 South Annandale, East Coast Demerara (ECD), was found after she fled Guyana via boat to Suriname.A source close to the investigation told Guyana Times that the woman was found hiding in the neighbouring country on Saturday morning.However, it was noted that both CANU and their Canadian counterparts are working together as they continue to investigate the drug bust.Singh, proprietress of Rose Bar located in Section C Enterprise, ECD, is wanted for questioning by (CANU) in relation to a cocaine bust in Canada on a bauxite ship that departed Guyana.On September 15, 2018, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) carried out a major drug enforcement exercise during which they seized 81 kilograms of cocaine at the Port of Valleyfield.The drug was found concealed in the hold of a vessel – Jacqueline C – carrying bauxite from Linden, where the ship departed.“After an initial search of the vessel, signs led us to concentrate on the front of the boat. And after a vigorous search, the cocaine was found concealed in bags in the hold of the vessel,” CBSA Deputy Director, Alain Surprenant, was quoted saying in subsequent reports.Nevertheless, four people were arrested; two of whom – 48-year-old Nazir Ahmad Hussain and 36-year-old Roldan De Gorio TITO – were charged with conspiracy to import drugs for the purpose of trafficking.According to a statement on the RCMP’s website, investigations revealed that the seized drug was heading for the Toronto and Vancouver markets.last_img read more